Join our Youth Jury
What is the Youth Jury?
Do you enjoy reading film reviews or watching award shows? Have you ever wondered how winners are chosen or what it takes to be a film critic?
Each year Freeze Frame invites budding film critics ages 11 – 16 to submit a review of a TV show or movie for a chance to be part of the Youth Jury, the panel that picks the best films of our International Film Festival for Kids of All Ages. The program aims to help you cultivate your critical skills and develop a deeper appreciation of films.
What does the Youth Jury Do?
Applicants selected for the Youth Jury will attend a workshop on film criticism, meet guest artists, attend the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, and, most importantly, view all the Festival films before casting their votes for Best Short Film and Best Feature Film or Documentary and a special Jury Award.
As a jury member, you will see great films from around the world and decide, with your peers, which ones should be awarded the Youth Jury Prizes. The Youth Jury will announce their choice for the winners at the Festival’s Closing Ceremonies on the afternoon of Sunday, March 11.
All jury members are required to participate in the film criticism workshop held at the start of the Festival. The jury members will watch all the films in this year’s Festival. Jury members will receive an All Access pass for themselves plus an additional pass for a family member or friend.
Please note that being part of the jury requires a big time commitment throughout the week of the Festival. The viewing schedule may require that you miss some days or half days at school since many of the films are screened on weekdays between 10 am and 3 pm. Also, you need to consider your other activities and obligations between March 4 – 11 before you apply, in order to avoid scheduling conflicts. The Festival takes place at the Franco-Manitoban Cultural Centre at 340 Provencher Boulevard. If you have any questions please contact the Freeze Frame office at 204-949-9355.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for young people who have a passion for film and are able to devote a lot of time during the Festival (March 4 – 11, 2018) to participate fully in the Youth Jury activities.
After we’ve reviewed the applications we choose our jurors based on qualities we see in their film reviews.
Here’s what we look for:
– Strong communication and writing skills
– Creativity and originality
– Good critical thinking skills
– A love for film (and TV)
Are you thinking about applying but don’t have any experience writing a film review? Don’t worry! We have some tips here to help you.
1. Pick a favourite film or TV show.
2. Resist the urge to retell the story. Instead, think about what you liked or didn’t like. It’s easiest to start with the positives.
3. Think about the type of film (or genre). Is it a drama, comedy, coming of age story, sci-fi, or action film?
4. Think about the emotional “tone” of the film. Is it sad, funny, or thrilling?
5. What themes and issues do you notice?
6. How is the filmmaker using the camera to tell their story? How about colours, lighting, and sounds? Why do you think the filmmaker made these choices in telling the story?
7. Write a catchy opening – something that grabs our attention.
8. Be true to you. Let us hear your thoughts and reactions about the film in your own voice.
Have fun doing this! We look forward to hearing from you.
Here is the application form.
Please download, fill out all the fields, save the file on your computer and email it to: email@example.com
For more information, contact the Freeze Frame office: 204-949-9355